I fell in a restaurant because of a poorly marked step-down. Is there a time limitation for pursuing the damages for the injuries? What are the steps I should take?


Generally, there is a two-year time limitation for filing a suit for personal injury or negligence (CCP § 335.1). It is very important to take note of this because one may not be able to recover once the 2-year limit has passed. At the soonest time possible, the victim should do his/her best to preserve evidences related to the injury such as:

  • Medical records and other documents related to the injury
  • Pictures of the place or object that caused the injury
  • Shoes one was wearing at the time the injury occurred (for slip-and-fall)
  • A written account of what happened prior, during, and directly after the injury
  •  If available, a video documenting the event of the injury (such as from a security camera)

The best step to take after sustaining an injury that one suspects is the fault of another, is to talk with a lawyer who is an expert in personal injury cases for proper guidance and representation.

Would you like to discuss your legal matter?


image description
Jack Morgan CALL US! 866-205-4971

We will assist in scheduling new and existing clients for all offices. For initial consultations we will ask you a few questions and then find the best time for you to talk to one of the lawyers that best fits your legal matter.

Call us or use the email form and we will follow up with you right away.


The Law Offices of Hogan Injury will provide you with personalized attention and guidance. Protecting your rights is our main objective. We have been representing clients for the past 30 years and our experienced team of attorneys will advise you of the legal consequences of every decision you take.