After sustaining injuries in a slip and fall accident in business or commercial property, you may be wondering what your next steps may be? How are you going to prove that the property owner, manager, or an employee is at fault for your slip and fall injury?
Proving your case by gathering and preserving evidence as much as possible can go a long way toward protecting your claim. Below are some of the tips to help you win the slip and fall accident case:
1. Report the accident to the property owner of the premises immediately.
2. It is essential to determine if the property owner is at fault for your slip and fall injury and demonstrate the negligence of the property owner, manager, or an employee, i.e., failing to correct a dangerous condition.
3. Write down what happened right after the accident, circumstances and even the exact location and time of the day while it’s still fresh in your mind.
4. Fill out accident report accurately and explain precisely how you got hurt.
5. Write down the reaction of the employee or owner of the property after you fell.
6. Find witnesses and get their contact information and asked them for written statements.
7. Photograph different angle of the location and also take photos of your injuries.
8. Get medical treatment as soon as possible regardless of the symptom and keep all medical records/documentation related to the injury.
9. Preserve the clothes and shoes worn at that time and do not wear them until after you have settled your case.
10. Seek legal counsel to help you with the case to ensure you have the correct legal representation to assist you. Your attorney can protect your rights and make sure valuable evidence is not destroyed.