Every personal injury case is different from one other, but these are the step-by-step process used in a typical personal injury case:
1. Hire an attorney. The attorney will tackle everything you need to know in your case.
2. File your complaint. This will serve as the first official document that will start the case.
3. Opponents from both sides in the case will get information from each other to create facts to be used for the case.
4. The defendant will hire an attorney.
5. The Trial will begin. The judge/jury will determine the defendant’s liability. At the end of the trial, the losing defendant will be required to pay all the damages caused in the case.
Other cases are usually settled before the trial begins. Settlement can take place anytime during the process of a lawsuit and will immediately end both parties’ case.