Yes, it is still possible to file a claim even when you do not have complete documents. In the moment of an accident, you are in shock, maybe injured, and incapable of thinking or functioning logically. You may fail to take photos of the damage to your car and the other car or forget to get the insurance details of the other driver.

The only documents you need to file an insurance claim (bodily injury or property damage) are:
• your insurance policy details
• insurance policy details of the other driver
• name, address and phone number of all the people in the incident, including witnesses, passengers, and police officers who responded
• driver’s license and license plate numbers for all drivers
• police report or DMV car accident form
• medical report if you sustained any injuries
• photos of the damage to the vehicles and of the accident scene

Having a police report is not a requirement, but it will help speed up the investigation from your insurance company and will affect the speed and value of your insurance payout. If you were unable to take photos of the accident or failed to get all the details of the other driver, the police report can provide all of these as these are required parts of the report. The police report also serves as an unbiased documentation of the accident.

Would you like to discuss your legal matter?


image description
Jack Morgan CALL US! 866-205-4971

We will assist in scheduling new and existing clients for all offices. For initial consultations we will ask you a few questions and then find the best time for you to talk to one of the lawyers that best fits your legal matter.

Call us or use the email form and we will follow up with you right away.


The Law Offices of Hogan Injury will provide you with personalized attention and guidance. Protecting your rights is our main objective. We have been representing clients for the past 30 years and our experienced team of attorneys will advise you of the legal consequences of every decision you take.