Just like any other services that you use, finding a good lawyer takes some time and effort on your part. You take your time to research about your doctor, hairstylist, and even the people you ask to maintain your lawn so why should searching for the right lawyer be any different? Aside from the lawyer’s specialization (you wouldn’t hire a divorce attorney to handle a personal injury claim), there are a lot of factors to consider when looking for a lawyer. Apart from expertise, you should find a lawyer who can build excellent client relationships since this indicates that the lawyer easy to work with.
Once you’re in need of a lawyer, your life will be going through changes, and you need someone you can trust and rely on to give you the best service that will lead to a favorable outcome for you. Whether you’re going through a divorce or filing for a premise liability lawsuit, having the best lawyer who understands not just the law but your needs as a client, is a must. Having the right lawyer for your needs can make a big difference in your experience with the legal system.
Here are some tips for finding the right lawyer for you:
1. Research. – Just like any other service or product that you would purchase, you need to do extensive research. One of the first steps you should take when researching is contacting the lawyer disciplinary agency for your state. Once you’ve verified that the lawyer you’re looking into is in good standing as a member of the bar association, proceed with a further background check. Try searching for the lawyer’s peer review ratings on the Internet and other feedback that are available to you.
2. Interview. – Most lawyers offer an initial consultation at no charge. Take advantage of this and set up an appointment for a consultation and prepare a set of questions that will help you gauge the lawyer’s capabilities. Ask them how long they have been practicing law, their success rate, if they have previously handled cases like yours, their fees, the billing system, etc. Aside from getting information about the lawyer’s expertise, you may also be able to tell if you feel comfortable with the lawyer with a personal meeting.
3. Ask for a tour. – A person’s home tells a lot about them, and this is also applicable to lawyers. After the initial consultation, you may ask for a brief tour of their law office. You should watch out for anything that might indicate that the lawyer you’re talking to is not as competent as they may seem. A chaotic office might mean that the lawyer you’ve interviewed is not good at organizing things which is a significant factor to consider. Being involved with the legal system requires a person to be organized in order to be successful.
Now that you’ve found the right lawyer for your needs, here are some things that you should do to create a good working relationship with them:
1. Communicate. – The lawyer you’ve chosen is going to become an enormous part of your life until your case is finished. You will be attending a lot of meetings and go to court with this person. You should let them know if you have any concerns and you need to listen whenever they tell you to.
2. Honesty is the best policy. – Your lawyer needs to know the whole story about your situation to be able to help you competently; lying to them would be counterproductive, this is the reason why you should find a lawyer you’re comfortable with.
3. Respect their time. – Just like you, lawyers do not like wasting their time, especially since their time has a monetary value attached to it. Always get to your scheduled meetings with them on time and schedule your consultations during office hours unless it’s an emergency.
We at Hogan Injury have a team of lawyers who specialize in a wide variety of cases. Contact us for expert legal advice.
None of the content on Hoganinjury.com is legal advice nor is it a replacement for advice from a certified lawyer. Please consult a legal professional for further information.