Car Accidents That Happen at Intersections
August 18th, 2016 by Patrick Hogan
Those that happen in rural areas often have the most catastrophic outcomes as the speed limits are often higher.
Common Types of Intersection Car Accidents
Some of the most common types of intersection accidents include rear-end collisions, head-on collisions, side impact collisions, and sideswiped collisions.
When behind the wheel, it’s very important to pay attention as you approach an intersection because accidents happen in a variety of ways. They include:
- Poorly timed traffic signals
- Running a red light
- Poor road surfaces
- High speed approaches
- Damaged traffic signs
- Ignoring yield signs
Types of Injuries
There are several injuries that typically result from intersection accidents including sprains, strains, fractures, traumatic brain injuries, whiplash, and paralysis.
How to Avoid an Intersection Accident
- Even though you have the right of way when the light turns green, you should always look both ways before proceeding. This is because a car from the other direction could run the red light.
- Read road signs so you know what the flow of traffic is.
- Approach blind intersections very slowly.
- When making a right turn, don’t forget to look to the right. Drivers often only look left for oncoming cars before making a right. This is dangerous you could collide with a cyclist, bus, or car that has come to a complete stop.
If you’ve sustained injuries in a car accident, please contact us to discuss your case.
Comments are closed.