Under California law, an incarcerated inmate must exhaust all administrative remedies before suing the state in a civil action based on conditions arising from his or her confinement.

There is a six-month limit for filing an action after the Victim Compensation and Government Claims rejects the inmate’s government tort claim, but the time during which the inmate reasonably pursues administrative remedies is excluded from this time limitation set forth on Gov.C. § 945.6(a)(1).

Work with a lawyer who is an expert in personal injury in order to be properly guided on the steps to take when claiming remedies from the state.

What our customers have to say about Hogan Injury experience

This Law firm was tremendously helpful! Every question that I had was answered with honesty and integrity. Shannon Gram, San Jose
Very helpful. Explained everything in great detail. Went above and beyond my expectations. Alyssa Samuals, Modesto