The California Code of Civil Procedure provides for certain heirs to file for a wrongful death action on their own behalf for the victim’s death. Those persons are the following (CCP § 377.60):

·                      Surviving spouse

·                      Domestic partner

·                      Children

·                      Issue of deceased children

·                      Putative spouse

·                      Children of the putative spouse

·                      Stepchildren

·                      Parents

However, according to caselaw, unmarried persons living together but are not registered domestic partners may not be able to qualify as a wrongful death claimant for the death of the partner [Holguin v. Flores (2004)].

To be better informed about the legal standing or qualification of a person who may file a wrongful death claim, consult with a lawyer who is an expert in personal injury cases.

What our customers have to say about Hogan Injury experience

This Law firm was tremendously helpful! Every question that I had was answered with honesty and integrity. Shannon Gram, San Jose
Very helpful. Explained everything in great detail. Went above and beyond my expectations. Alyssa Samuals, Modesto