When you get involved in a car accident while away in a different state and you sustain injuries that prevent you from filing a case against the driver at fault, do not lose hope. It is possible to file a complaint without your presence.

You can file a complaint by mail, but a better option would be to have your lawyer file the complaint on your behalf. Since the accident happened in a different state, your lawyer has to file the complaint in the state where the accident occurred.

If you do not have a lawyer but cannot appear in court due to your injuries, you can give power of attorney to a family member or friend. This way, they can file for you and appear in court for you. However, if he or she is not a lawyer, he or she cannot represent you in court. Giving someone the power of attorney allows them to decide, on your behalf, about your finances and your legal matters.

In all these methods of filing a case without being physically present, you still have to travel to the state where the complaint was filed to handle the case when it pushes through.

Would you like to discuss your legal matter?


image description
Jack Morgan CALL US! 866-205-4971

We will assist in scheduling new and existing clients for all offices. For initial consultations we will ask you a few questions and then find the best time for you to talk to one of the lawyers that best fits your legal matter.

Call us or use the email form and we will follow up with you right away.


The Law Offices of Hogan Injury will provide you with personalized attention and guidance. Protecting your rights is our main objective. We have been representing clients for the past 30 years and our experienced team of attorneys will advise you of the legal consequences of every decision you take.